Monday, November 21, 2011

Pre-Christmas Caribou... and a Tip for Painting Snow

In my Wildlife Illustration class, the module on antlered ungulates provided a great opportunity for me to prepare for the holiday season by learning to draw reindeer. My research taught me that, in the wild, they are called caribou... only domesticated caribou are called reindeer.


A little character, Rosemary the Reindeer
(created in Adobe Illustrator):


 I think I will re-work Rosemary the Reindeer later on to dress her up for Christmas!



Anatomy studies of caribou:




A color study (painted in Photoshop):




Lesson Learned: Snow doesn't have to be white! When painting snow, think about all of the different colors that can be reflected in it. For my color caribou study, I added areas of orange and blue to the snow. These sunset colors reflected in the snow help to create a mood for the piece that is much more interesting than if the snow had been plain white.

No comments:

Post a Comment